Thursday, May 1, 2014

Get to Know the Advisory Board: Lauren Baker

First Book's strength comes from its donors and volunteers. In each community it serves, First Book has an Advisory Board of volunteers committed to bringing new books to children in need. Today, we'll get to know First Book-Denver Metro Advisory Board Member Lauren Baker.

Name: Lauren Baker

Hometown: Denver is my adopted hometown. Great city and great state.

What is your favorite children's book? 
I loved Dr. Seuss books – all of them—and as I got just a bit older, I tore through the Little House on the Prairie series. I still remember what shelf they were on in my elementary school’s library.

Who is your favorite author? 
So many, and so hard to choose just one.  I love the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, Truman Capote, The Brothers Grimm, Poe, Twain, Kate Chopin and Toni Morrison… 

Why do you volunteer with First Book? 
Its mission is one I can believe in.  Books have always been so central to my life.  I’m lucky that growing up there were books in my home and family trips to the library.  (And still are today.) I would hope every child has the opportunity for the adventures I had through great books.

No comments:

Post a Comment