As one of First Book’s community-based volunteer Advisory Boards, we are responsible for implementing activity at the local level. Advisory Board members apply their collective community knowledge and experience to identify and award grants of new books to local literacy programs serving at-risk children, at no cost to the program. A typical book grant lasts for a six-month or one-year period and offers each child in the program a steady diet of books (usually a book a month).
First Book Advisory Boards have five main tasks:
- Recruit and engage a diverse board of volunteers who are passionate about children's literacy;
- Conduct community-based fundraising campaigns;
- Identify potential Recipient Groups who might be eligible for book grants;
- Award book grants at least once per calendar year;
- Promote and participate in First Book national partnership initiatives on the local level.
Since our board is currently being rebuilt, we need all the help we can get! Email us for more information on how you can get involved with whatever time and skills you have available.