First Book-Denver is in the process of revitalizing its local presence. After a challenging year in 2011, we are ready to hit the ground running in 2012. We are also on Facebook and Twitter, so check out our pages!
Below is some information about First Book's national presence.
First Book at a Glance
- First Book provides new books to children in need, tackling a critical barrier to literacy development – access to books and educational materials. First Book has distributed more than 80 million books to schools and community organizations serving children from low-income families in thousands of communities.
- First Book currently reaches more than 25,000 registered organizations and schools that serve children in need from birth to age 18.
- To obtain books and resources, programs must complete a simple online registration to verify their eligibility. In addition to programs that serve children from low-income families, First Book also provides new books and educational materials to programs serving children of active military members, and organizations for children with serious medical conditions.
- National in scope, but local in impact, First Book relies on a network of dedicated volunteer groups in hundreds of communities throughout the U.S. that provide book grants to local programs and raise awareness of literacy issues.
- First Book is a partnership-based organization – we work with corporations, nonprofit groups and publishers to achieve our mission.
- Kyle Zimmer co-founded First Book in 1992, and she continues to lead the organization.