Thursday, May 8, 2014

Get to Know the Advisory Board: Cherie Courtade

First Book's strength comes from its donors and volunteers. In each community it serves, First Book has an Advisory Board of volunteers committed to bringing new books to children in need. Today, we'll get to know First Book-Denver Metro Advisory Board Member Anica Wong.
  
Name: Cherie Courtade

Hometown: Sewell, NJ 

What is your favorite children's book 
When I was a child, I loved Green Eggs and Ham, The Velveteen Rabbit, and anything by Judy Blume. Today, I've discovered contemporary children's books by Mo Willems (Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! and Knufflebunny) and Jarrett Krosoczka (Baghead and Bubble Bath Pirates!)

Who is your favorite author?  
David Rakoff. I find myself re-reading his essays and enjoying them as much the 100th time as I did the first. I also enjoy Douglas Coupland, Sarah Vowell, and Haruki Murakami.

Why do you volunteer with First Book? 
Helen Coffey. Founder of First Book-Los Angeles South Bay, Helen introduced me to the organization over ten years ago and recruited me to her advisory board. Her passion for education and for the welfare of children was inspiring. I'd grown up with a love of reading, but Helen and First Book made me realize that I could--and should--help children who might not experience that joy without a little help from their community.

No comments:

Post a Comment